Saturday, October 3, 2009

1967 Chevrolet Chevy II Nova SS



As far Chevy Muscle Cars went, the ’67 Chevy II Nova SS was a real sleeper.  It was a rattlesnake wearing a rabbit skin.  From the outside it looked like a mid-sized grocery getter but underneath it might just have the nasty L79 small block, a high-revving 327 with 350 hp and 360 ft. lbs. of torque; essentially a corvette engine in a very light car. The Super Sport edition had some extra chrome, blackout trim details, and small SS emblems. Even with the slotted wheels of the '67 disc-brake option, a Nova SS was essentially a stealth machine.

I ran across one of these rare birds one night in 1969 and got my butt handed to me; my 1969 Nova had a 350 but it just couldn’t match the power-to-weight ration of that little ’67.  He left so fast I never got close.  Ouch!  I caught up with him at a What-A-Burger and asked what in the hell was under the hood.  “Just a little 327” was all he said.  After a bit of exchanging basic BS, he lightened up and told me about the car.  Would you believe 2,700 lbs?  To put that into perspective, a new Dodge Charger weighs about twice that much.  At 350 bhp, the power-to-weight ratio was 7.7 lbs per horsepower!  I felt better knowing I had lost to such an evil little machine (I thought, “Man I got to get me one of these!”).

I have never understood why Chevy only made the body style for two years – that cost them a pretty penny in tooling cost.  I think it was an attractive, if understated, Chevy Muscle Car and is worthy of honorable mention as a pioneer in the small car/big engine performance design.  It is rare but it has such potential for a street rod.  Try to imagine how quick one could be with say a 383 stroker with 450 hp; might want to get real serious about traction!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, nice post. Well what can I say is that these is an interesting and very informative topic. Thanks for sharing your ideas, its not just entertaining but also gives your reader knowledge. Good blogs style too, Cheers!

    - The chevy danvers

    ReplyDelete